Monday, September 18, 2006

Preps to keep in your vehicle

Having just returned from an overnight trip to Arlington, VA, I am prompted to discuss things that should be kept in a vehicle to help deal with emergencies on the road. The possibility always exists that you’ll run into a mechanical failure which requires dealing with, or outside emergencies. Keeping a bag or box in your trunk or behind the seat of a pickup can make life a lot easier in the event of an inconvenience, or save a life in an emergency.

For dealing with mechanical issues I keep several items in my truck:

  • Some basic hand tools

  • A spare quart of motor oil

  • A jug of antifreeze

  • A jug of windshield wiper fluid

  • A D-cell flashlight

  • The factory jack

  • A can of WD-40

  • A few shop rags, a roll of paper shop towels, and waterless hand cleaner wipes

  • Jumper cables

  • A few magnesium road flares

  • 12VDC air compressor/flashlight

  • A can of Fix-A-Flat
  • Four-way tire iron

To deal with other issues I add:

  • A Kershaw lock blade knife

  • A Gerber Multiplier Scout multitool

  • CB radio (also handy for real-time traffic reports)

  • My everyday carry cell phone

  • First aid kit

  • Rain poncho

  • Space blanket
A lot more stuff could be added, and this list would be expanded if I didn't live in a large metro area.

Out trip remained within heavily-travelled areas so I wasn’t worried about taking anything for an overnight stay in the boonies, like the BOB shown in this post.

I normally also carry a get-home bag with additional supplies including an MRE, water, another poncho, compass, etc. but had to take it out for this trip since we were short on space. I need to change some of the contents and downsize it into a smaller bag. That will be a project for a future post.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Dave,
for the emergency prep list. I'm on the road for days and long miles for my work and was in need of a good suggestion for safe travels. What do you pack in your first aid kit?

Anonymous said...

Good list, but I always ditch the factory jack in favor of a floor jack. It's bulky, but when you need it, it's a godsend. Much, much easier to use, and I think much safer as well. If I didn't carry a floor jack, a bottle-jack would be next up.