Friday, September 18, 2020

Loaded Some Black Powder Shotgun Shells

 Last weekend I primed 25 Magtech brass 12 gauge shotgun shells and on my lunch break today I finished loading them. The details:

  • Magtech 2.5" all brass hull
  • CCI Large Pistol Primer
  • 80 grains of 2Fg Goex black powder
  • 11 gauge nitro card (over powder card)
  • 11 gauge fiber cushion wad
  • Lubricated felt wad
  • 1 1/8 oz. of mixed No.7.5 shot
  • 10 gauge overshot card
  • Sealed with Duco cement




Magtech hulls require the use of oversized components because the case walls are thinner than 12 gauge plastic or paper hulls.

The felt wads were punched out of 1/8" thick wool felt with a .75" punch, then soaked in a mixture of 50/50 beeswax/mutton tallow. This is to help keep powder fouling soft.

The shot is a mix of plated that I bought from Rotometals, along with some unplated shot scavenged from miscellaneous promo loads. No. 7.5 shot is primarily for clay busting but it will work on doves, as well. Otherwise I'd load No. 5s for small game hunting.

I'll let the Duco cement cure overnight before boxing them up.

These will be good for informal clay target shooting. They shoot well in my Russian-made Baikal MP-310 over/under. Cleanup in a chrome-lined smoothbore isn't bad.

No comments: