Monday, August 05, 2024

Kosher Meal Review 1

Something I'm trying to do is get more prepping info out to my fellow Members of the Tribe. Observant Jews will follow the laws of kashrut and only consume kosher foods. So, I decided to order some shelf-stable kosher meals and try them out.

I bought a six pack of Kosher meals by KJ Poultry from Amazon:

  • Beef stuffed cabbage
  • Beef rib steak
  • Chicken meat balls
  • Stuffed chicken
  • Chicken soup
  • Chicken chow mein
One of the meals has an sell-by date of October 2027, while the other five were November 2027. Note that those are sell-by dates, not expiration dates. If you keep them in a cool, dry place out of the light they should last a few years past that.

Tonight I tried the beef stuffed cabbage for dinner. Pics of the box, front and back:





You should be able to click on the images to view them larger. The ingredients and prep instructions are on the back. I warmed it in my microwave.

The sealed meal you'll see when you remove it from the box:



After heating and opening:


Lots of sauce with two lumps of beef and rice stuffing. One of them had come unwrapped. The other was still wrapped in cabbage.

A closeup:



It tasted excellent. The portion size was small for me. I could've eaten two of these meals for dinner. Alternatively, a side would have been nice. It would probably make a decent lunch.

Is it worth it? By itself this is not a full meal. But it's kosher, shelf stable, and can be heated a few different ways. If necessary it could be consumed cold. In my opinion they are a good option for including in a long-term kosher food supply.

I'll post reviews of other meals as I eat them.



No comments: